August 28, 2008

"This is a journey into sound."


My iPod is crazy. Rigor Mortis will play right after Joy Division and a Peter Murphy song or two. And then to my surprise, Eric B and Rakim snuck in there. Sometime in high school, around '88, this kid from L.A moved to my little town in Hawaii and introduced me to some new hip hop I hadn't heard. Getting new music on that island was difficult, let me assure you, especially before the internet.




Paid In Full really stuck with me. It's one of those classic albums that I'll always dig. Oh, and that kid Brian that hooked me up with this album ended up doing something really bad so he moved out of the country and went into hiding. His parents would never tell us what he did or where he went. I heard he moved to the Philippines .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny to think that Eric B, EPMD, NWA, PE are all over 20 years old. I am old.

Jakemon

Anonymous said...

when i first moved to LA in 88 i worked in a body shop on La Cienega. I met Eric B and Rakim in that shop...cool guys and not too impressed with themselves even though their album was hot

Panheads Forever said...

let the rhythm hit em

Nads said...

Agreed Nelson, Paid In Full is indeed a classic. Come over to my house one day we'll listen to stacks of 12 inch glory.