December 28, 2008

It's Sunday already? What the fuck! Where did my weekend go? Oh well, not much to report other than me and the "Nator" aka Dustinator aka Dustin went back to Binh Duong for the second time. This is yet another gem along Anaheim St., near Cherry.




Below is the Nator checking out their specials for the day. Who knows what the specials were because although we totally dig on Southeast Asian food, the languages is totally beyond us. Hawaiian, Japanese, Spanish or even some Filipino, one of us may know at least a few words. Everything else may as well been space alien language.

I didn't want to just get phở again, that's just an easy way out. I had it the last time I was there. This time I got this one. I don't remember what it was called. It had a pork broth with lots of garlic. The noodles were wide, like chow fun, and it had lean slices of pork too. Of course bean sprouts and a squeeze of lime. We also split an order of shrimp spring rolls. This one was the bomb, like ka-boom. I'll never order phở again from Binh Duong. Only this and its variations. I found a new favorite:
This place is good. The whole restaurant is all Vietnamese employees and customers. They can barely speak any English but they go out of their way to try and help you out with the menu. I almost got the above item with "pork hock" instead of just pork. I kept asking the waitress what exactly was pork hock, so she got the attention of everyone in the place to ask what the English word was.




The elderly Vietnamese couple next to us couldn't wait to see what we finally ordered. The old lady was rubber necking hard. It's cool, we don't mind. She smiled and said hi.
Nator said "I'm pretty sure its the foot, because that lady in the kitchen just pointed at her foot." He added, "I had it before. There's not much meat on it." Ah, maybe next time.

4 comments:

tiptopdadddy said...

I used to go to a place here in Indy called Sizzling Wok II. It was in a really crappy part of town so I had avoided it for a while. But after one visit I was hooked. The old Vietnamese guy who owned it was the waiter and the cook. He also operated the laundromat next door in between orders. SO GOOD but unfortunately closed now. Vietnamese food is awesome but Korean is my favorite, Be Bim Bop, Spicy Chiriashi or Bulgogi with deluxe namool. I know what I'm getting this week. Keep up the gastronomic posts, that's good stuff.

Nelson said...

I'll do a Korean BBQ post sooner or later. Just never gotten around to going lately. I'm down with all the Korean food stuff. I know it fairly well. Half of Honolulu is owned by Koreans! But anyway, thanks for the comment! I like to eat good food and then talk about it!

Did you get that, Yakiniku Hater in San Juan Diego? Korean BBQ Off Topic Post coming soon.

Anonymous said...

Bulgogi in the same sentence as yakiniku AND dink food...I pity the fool!!...

Beaner said...

Bring it on. Being my wife is Lao, we eat viet and Thai food at home and I live in Kim Chi Land. How rad is that? Exotic to me is eating at McDonalds.