January 18, 2009

Yoboseo! The Ol'Lady (yes, I'm using biker lingo again) went out to dinner with her Hawaiian canoe club pals so I called no other than CantStayJose to have a Man Date. I already knew where I wanted to eat. I had a veggie sandwich from Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe for lunch, so when it was dinner time I was ready for Meat Fest 2009.













Jose and I went up a few ways from Long Beach and went to the Korean area of Cerritos to eat at Jang Su Jang, Korean BBQ. It's just a quick 15 minute drive for beef-o-rama bliss.









Should we have listened to Bob Marley before we got there to help our appetites? Did we need to bring Pepto to ease ourselves afterwards? I already knew what we were in for. I've had Korean BBQ all my life. But it was going to be the first time for my hombre, so I wanted to make sure he gots to eats at da bomb:
Was the man ready? Fuck, yeah! I told him to make sure he was hungry hours before we went. They start by asking you if you want BBQ and they sit you at a BBQ table:
Next, this stone pot thing is put on and is heated up. They use different grills/pots for different cuts and styles of meat, which also may or may not have a different marinade.
While the pot was being heated up, the veggies were brought out. Bean sprouts, pickled this and that, Kim Chee, sweet potato, potato salad, chap chae (potato noodles) is my favorite so I begged for extra. Also includes soup, spicy green salad and more god damn pickled mother fucking goodness.
Plates of raw meat was brought out and your faithfull food reporter forgot to snap a shot of it, sorry. But here's what it looks like when we started to grill it up. "Eat some salad first so we can make it go down easier, holmes!" I said. "True dat," he replied:
The green salad is good so we kept going back to that, making sure we get lots of it for Meat Fest 2009. This first meat we got was Bulgogi. Thinly cut, this sliced beef is marinated in soy sauce, garlic, sugar, sesame oil and who knows what else secret ingredients they got. It's fucking rad:

There's all kindsa ways to eat the grilled meats. Standard is with rice and some veggies. I like using the super thinly sliced Daikon radish as a wrap; I put some meat, miso sauce and rice. "Use it kinda like a tortilla, Jose!" Oh yeah, rare photo of myself. I don't like being on camera - I do the picture taking!

Next up, the Kalbi. To me, this one is the Carne Asada of Korean BBQ. It is, isn't it? I always thought so. It's meat cut off of short ribs. Basically, again, Korean soy sauce, garlic and sugar... but there's all kindsa secret ingredients that go into making good Kalbi. I think The Hater told me one secret was pear juice... I forget.










So anyway, Jose was very pleased with the Bulgogi so he was very curious as to what the Kalbi was going to taste like. He couldn't wait for the Kalbi... he was in for a treat. Oh, we were on our second bowl of rice at this point:
Hold on, my man! The meat's real thin and the grill is hot so it'll be real quick like a magic trick. I swear, there was so much god damn raw meat on the little tray next to our table. Wish I remembered to take a pic.




This is what the Kalbi looks like:
And this is what it looks like to eat too much:

Eat the meat off the bone, it's the best part. "Fuck that, you eat it. I'll fucking explode." None of us could finish it. Oh, those are cloves of garlic. Goes well with meat and rice! We were outta there... where was everybody else at? Dustin's.
Just 15 minutes later we were at Dustin's. I think The Hater's here from San Juan Diego. Lots of cars parked outside. Looks like they had pizza!
Not just anybody should show up here though.
Full house! Fuck, we forgot! It was UFC night at Dustinator's.
Man Date, Meat Fest and Ultimate Fighting! Boy, we really did bro-it-out last night.

7 comments:

tiptopdadddy said...

I just got back to town. I really had a taste for Korean BBQ on the way back from the airport. But I was tired. So, I came home and had a frozen pizza instead. This makes me regret my decision. That namool (or however you spell it) and meat looks delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Shit man...you,re making me hungry...!!!!

Daniel K said...

Hey that sure looks good!!!
Can you get brazillian BBQ over there?

Anonymous said...

You know they don't serve actual beef to non-Koreans, right?

Anonymous said...

yeah, beef that go miaow.

Anonymous said...

shut up Carlito before I shove a swastika up your ass

Beaner said...

I can't get enough of it so I moved to Kimcheeland...