September 6, 2009

La Revancha - Long Beach, CA

There are a lot of areas in Long Beach many residents never really stop and take a good look or understand what the deal is. I could honestly say that most of the city never gets a second chance. It may be a little rough for many but it may feel just like home for others.




Personally, I fucking love this city and everything about it. Just under half a million strong, its one of the few big cities within Los Angeles County's borders but let me tell you there are some real gems here.


This time around CantStayJose and I will take you with us to one of our regular taquerias; a spot we hit when our guapa senoras aren't cooking for us. La Revancha, located on Anaheim St. near Temple Ave., is probably one of the best taco spots on this side of the city.




A word of caution though, you gotta know what to order at each taqueria. This was a lesson I learned early on. Some meats are better done at other joints but you'll never know UNTIL YOU TRY!

On this fine evening we had a guest in town, a Kentucky native and fellow hungry man - Jordan! So what does two brown guys do with the white guy? Take him straight to the ghetto! But it ain't so bad, because we were all in for a treat:
CantStayJose is the best man for the job when you want to eat Mexican food. I usually just leave it up to him, which Jordan did, but at La Revancha I know exactly what I want.
Look at the man in the mural. He ain't joking. I can't agree with him 100% that's it is indeed the best in Long Beach (since I haven't eaten at ALL the spots YET), but I can say that some tacos on their menu has a good chance:

Our food was up and Jordan was in for a little surprise. I don't think we ever did tell him exactly what it was that he had, but he nearly ate it all! Jose ordered him two cabezas (head meat, beef), two al pastor (marinated pork) and two carne asada (grilled beef steak):
What did Jose have? Show us what the fuck you got, dog. Quit blocking the camera:
"I'm eating," he says. Let me take the stupid picture already, I don't care! Jose had four carne asada tacos and two lengua (beef tongue). I think the lengua, cabeza and the asada are especially good at La Revancha, their specialties:
Oh, I ate everything in the fucking place before already. I know exactly what I want and I got it. Two cabezas and one torta filled with carne asada. The cabeza here is very well done. Soft, tasty, just perfect for tacos. I dug their taco de cabeza the first time I had it.
I usually get the torta with al pastor but this time it was back to the asada. One thing I wish La Revancha would do is use different cheese. I mean, American cheese tastes good in this torta but... ah, fuck. I ain't complaining, really. I keep getting it anyway:
Our night came to an end and everyone's belly was about to burst. It was a Thursday night so we all had to bail and go take care of shit, you know how it is.
We'll be back again. Stay tuned for more Sunday food posts!

4 comments:

steveb said...

lol - yea, my wife has been pretty sick of our constant companion -the camera - oh for about 23 years now... after awhile she forgets its there...unless i make the mistake of pointing it at her

Jordan said...

Great write up...great food too!

The head meat taco (haha) was probably the best of the 6 that I ate...but they were all killer...You also gotta remember that I'm originally from Kentucky, so it doesn't take much to top the Mexican food we have around here! haha!

Thanks again guys for letting me come along! Had a great time!

-Jordan.

Anonymous said...

Great write up...i have a mexican friend eduardo who i was in peru with and every sunday when we were off work he,d make us all taco,s... the best i have ever tasted... and he just knocked em up ..!!! beer in one hand and guacamole in the other...shit guys i,m hungry

Micro said...

feast!