February 1, 2009

Short Ribs

It was Saturday. My other half was in NYC hanging out with some friends... good time to have a couple of the guys over to eat. I went to Gonzalez Northgate Market which is 1 block from my pad.

The meat department in this place is exceptionally good. There's always a line so I know the meat isn't old, it keeps moving out. I see them cutting it up like crazy all day; they can't keep up. This place has everything from beef tripe to oxtails to ground pork to carne asada to short ribs!
Did someone say short ribs? I did. Ever since I went to Korean BBQ with CantStayJose, I been wanting more Korean food. So I got the short ribs. I wanted to make them a little more Hawaiian style though, like I've had them back home.
This isn't really a recipe or anything and it's kind of a lazy man way, but it works and its good. I cut up the short ribs first into blocks like this. One bone per cut:
Throw them all into a crock pot. Set to Low. Then find a can/bottle of left over beer.
I think this Heineken was here for a few months, ever since we had a canoe club party. Pour one of them into the crock pot. Nothing else. If you're a greaser or whatever its OK, you can use Pabst:

Leave them things alone after that. Don't touch it. I said don't touch! I usually leave them in for like 3 or 4 hours until I go and flip them over. If you want them to cook all day while you're at work, fuck it, go for it. It'll all fall off the bone anyway if you leave them alone for 8 to 10 hours:
Oh shit, I had to go and touchy-touchy again even though I said not to. It's alright because I just added some chopped garlic, about 3 or 4 of them. Everything needs garlic. I rub garlic on base gaskets when I do top ends. I put garlic on my phone when it gets bad reception. Everything gets better with garlic, especially Hawaiian Style Kalbi Short Ribs:

I dont have time to make my own sauce. I just use this one. Hawaii made! After the beef looks done, I just take out all the meat, pour out all the liquid, then put the meat back in and cook it back on Low with the sauce for another 45min to an hour:

Oh my, there's some hungry people that showed up. My critics are Dustin, Vince and my co-host CantStayJose. I started them with some tossed greens and creamy sesame dressing. I put some salmon in there too that I flaked up. Also added some chopped olives:
We had some Japanese gyoza (potstickers) after the salad with some simple wasabi and Aloha Brand soy sauce for dipping. I was so busy eating I only have this shot of the finished ribs:
Hawaiian Style Korean Ribs were served with my special sticky white rice (I make rice better than you Hater shut up stupid), some mixed veggies like corn, soy beans and carrots out of a bag. Sauce over the rice makes it oh-soo-much better. See, look! they can barely pay attention because they're busy eating:
The ribs were killer. We all went or seconds. Good thing I bought 12 strips of beef. I bought extra so I could make something out of the leftovers (coming soon):
Then we all went to a bar and I beat Jose at shuffle board 17 to 1.





The End!

10 comments:

tiptopdadddy said...

Nelson, I went to a local Vietnamese place today with some of my homies. No "33" beer. Tsing Dao did the job. We all had the beef and meatball pho. I got a pan fried dumpling as my appetizer. I thought it would be like pot stickers. Wrong, it was like a huge omlette with shrimp, pork, sprouts and onions. With Hoisin sauce and Sri Racha it was amazing. The soup was tasty too with basil and other fresh fixins. Then I went and bought a bunch of records. I took pics but my blog is fucked for some odd reason. Keep on eating! -ejk

Anonymous said...

Church of Crockpot?

Anonymous said...

Shit nelson.... i check this blog everytime i come home as i,m 12 hours in front... just when i think i,m not hungry i read about the food n i,m eating...trying to keep fit not fat...hahaha..!! kepp it up great site

Nelson said...

tiptopdaddy: surprises like the omelet thing you got rules. I've eaten all kindsa stuff before but I can never remember the names of stuff, which is a bummer later on! I always use Sriracha to spice things up whenever I'm cooking (I'm real basic anyway).

thaichopper: send me photos and a story! I would dig seeing them, especially if you're in Thailand!

Anonymous said...

maaaan oh you always do it i am hungry! thanks you guys for this site always dig it and am always digging on the food post adventures you do nelson thanks man. i was started to wonder if you ate at home or whut but looks like you cook too. ben atlanta GA

Anonymous said...

hey nelson, will get something together when i get back from work go offshore at the weekend...i,ll get some pics from one of the bike weeks..some hot chicks n cool rides

Doug said...

Thanks for posting the recipes Nelson, i know a bunch of people like them!
Doug

Nelson said...

thaichopper: Try a food post from Thailand!

Doug: no problem! thanks for looking!

Doug said...

O.k. Here's a Cheap Mans Taco Soup, but more like Chili if you ask me
One & half pound Ground beef
one 16 oz. can corn
one 16 oz. can of black beans
one large can of diced tomatoes
one packet Schillings Taco seasoning
one packet Ranch dressing
Brown Beef & throw everything into
medium pan or dutch oven INCLUDING Juices from corn,beans,tomatoes
and simmer for 2-3 hours
it is so damn good, top with cheese or sour cream, use chips to scoop out etc
Doug

Skylar said...

I put my carburetors in the an extra crock pot my neighbor got from the thrift store. It works well with a bunch of carb cleaner and shit in there.

As for garlic, yeah man I use it whenever possible, love it