March 19, 2009

NFK 3 of 5


Bird:
Ok, let’s shift gears a bit here.
I know that you are a bicycle messenger during the day now; does all that crazy messenger riding affect your motorcycle riding skills in the city? I would think that it would have to… probably really speeds up your reflexes… my brother use to race motocross and he always was looking for other things to “cross train” to help him  learn better balance and riding skills. I had never thought of being a bicycle messenger until now. How has that affected your riding style on your motorcycles?

 
Yan:
Well, I would have to say that riding a Bicycle is kind of the same but still very different from a motorcycle.
The speed is obviously very different, and the maneuvers are very different.
And riding a bicycle in the city, especially a fixed gear bicycle, is very dangerous, so I ride carefully.
I guess it really hasn’t changed my motorcycle riding that much.


Bird:
Ok, cool…don’t you and some other NFK members ride your bicycles in that RxKxBX  roadkill night run thing too? Tell us a little about that.

Yan:
Oh, yeah. We were going to the RxKxBx run every time last year.
Many of NFK members got fixed gear track bikes. It was so fresh riding bicycles together and being outrageous in the city.
It was the same as the Bosozoku, man. No rules. Red light go style. It was so much fun.
And at the same time, we were kind a tired of the Tokyo chopper scene from 2007 to mid 2008. Not fun.
So we escaped to the bicycle society, Ha, ha! There was a lot more freedom. and no politics.
Man, RxKxBx is fuckin nice.  It’s the same kind a community as the NFK. No Limits No Laws style.
No president, no prospect, we just wanna have some fun! That's it.



Bird:
Do you still ride that red Triumph chopper? That was supposed to be for your wife right?

 
Yan:
Yeah, I got that Triumph chopper from Choppahead in Boston for my wife. It’s actually still sitting in the garage!

 


Bird:
I know with your latest bike purchase (Your GS1200SS) you are getting away from the custom bike style that you had with your FXR and your Triumph… but what are some of the things, people, magazines, books, or movies that influenced you and the rest of  NFK when you built your bikes now and in the past.
I’m going to guess that like me… Mad Max, The Road Warrior and Akira is right up there at the top for you guys!

Yan:
Actually, I don't think I am done with the custom bike society. I will definitely be back! I am broke right now, but I will be back.
My next bike will be much more of a streetfighter. I wanted my FXR to be a streetfighter Harley.
But with stock gas tank and fenders though.
And yes…as you know, my biggest influence is the Mad Max movie.


Bird: 
So is the core NFK group in Tokyo getting more into the air-cooled musclebike/race bike and streetfighter scene too, or is that something you guys have always liked?


Yan:
Oh yeah, most of the guys really just love motorcycles. Any motorcycles.
We really got into Harleys for, like 7, or 8 years. That’s enough! Ha, ha!
You will see an all new NFK in the near future.

 
 
 
Bird:
A lot of the NFK now own fixed gear track bicycles, but I know for a long time a lot of you skated and you actually owned a skate shop. Do you guys still skate, or have you moved onto bikes only now?

Yan:
I am a very stupid guy. I can do only one thing at a time. I quit skating now since I am a messenger.
Some of the guys still love to skate. I still want to do downhill skating too… but when spring comes. It’s way too cold out now! Ha, ha!

No comments: