Not so fast. It stalled a couple times. No big deal, hadn't messed the carbs or timing. I was waiting for the oil to return to the tank and it stalled one more time. I go to kick it again and the thing is frozen solid. I start to freak out a little. So I put a wrench on the end of the crank.... it wouldn't move! Now I'm really freaking out!!!!!! FUCK, FUCK, FUCK!!!!!!!
So I decide to isolate the crank from the gearbox & timing gears (i.e tear apart the gearbox and remove the timing gear). Still won't budge! Now I'm SUPER FREAKING out. I figure it can't get any more fucked so I go for broke and start pumping Marvel Mystery Oil through the crank shaft to the big end bearings and start tapping the crank with a wrench and a rubber mallet. It starts to move. I continue the back and forth for a few minutes or so. It's getting easier & easier. I move on to a wrench and a short breaker bar. Pretty soon I could spin it though by hand. Then I started kicking it though. It's smoother than it was before this whole ordeal.
Friday morning I put the gearbox back together reset the timing gears and mag and went for it. It's starts up and oil starts returning! I've been riding it around and it's seams all good. I didn't put the bottom end together so I'm not sure what happened. But it's seams good for now...only time with tell.

4 comments:
Make sure the oil passage isn't plugged. There is an oil filter type thing inside the engine. There was an article in the horse about the "ticking time bomb" inside your triumph. I would check that shit out and fast! You may have just got lucky once!
Check here: http://www.ironcross.net/sludge%20trap.htm
I guess it's a sludge trap.
Yeah, the sludge trap can come back a bite you in the ass. One problem. You have to split the cases to get to it. Tick...Tock.
The sludge tube is in the crankshaft. That's where I was pushing oil through to feed the big end bearings and if the sludge trap is clogged you will not get any oil to return or have a every weak return. The return in this bike is now flowing strong.
I don't know how long ago the bottom end was put together. I think the assemble lube may have dired out. There is also a oil passage that runs through the timing cover. That may have gotten clogged when I polished the cover. It looked ok when I checked, but I did forget to clean it before I put it one.
Just dumb stuff that happens when your in a rush!
Post a Comment