July 16, 2008

So it was 1988 and I think it was the beginning of the my sophomore year in high school. 20 years ago, geez. Sure doesn't feel like that long ago. Since Jeff and Motoyan had been posting BMX/bicycle stuff lately, I thought I'd throw this in.

I had been doing a BMX/skate zine called "NOTzine" in high school. I had done 4 issues and this one was supposed to be #5. I never got passed making the cover (left) and the inside cover (right). Of course this was just a test run to see how it would look in black&white. All four issues, including these two pages for issue #5, was all done without a computer. All done with scissors, glue and tape and by yours, truly. I finally also got a typewriter for issue #4 and #5.




#5 was gonna be a hot issue! I had a interview with an actual "pro", Scotty Freeman, in this one. Never got around to finishing it, wah-wah. FTW: Forever Two Wheels! Don't Hate - CREATE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Killer post Nelstone!

Mark said...

Yeah, Nelson! Those page layouts are awesome! Really like your sense of typography and the cut and paste technique.

Nelson said...

Thanks! I'm thinking about bringing it back for its 20-years-later issue #5. I'll need help from contributors! No computers, just scissors, tape and glue!

Anonymous said...

Memories of Mililani Fuckin High School....Good times Nelson!!