April 27, 2008

What the fuck am I posting just because its off topic Sunday? MOTHRA!

So I was just chilling out in the bark yard, in our little patch in the city, when this moth caught my eye. It flies around just like a humming bird. Its a trip. So fucking weird looking, I had to take some photos.
Its the second or third time I've seen it. A pair of them show up together always at dusk. Maybe I can do some freelancing for National Geographic now but they probably won't let me say fuck.
Bleah! Its doing its curl-the-tongue thing! It can suck out a little of your brain by poking is tongue through your eyeball!
The Hater says I hang out with Bob Marley too much. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how big is that thing? it looks huge and it's so pretty. butterflies creep me out but i love moths.

Nelson said...

They're about the size of a hummingbird.

I looked it up and its a White Lined Sphinx or Striped Morning Sphinx Moth, Hyles lineata.

Only other interesting thing in the yard are those alligator lizards, which are also pretty common. But one of my dogs has kept their numbers down to a minimum!

Anonymous said...

We got those out here in Hawaii. When we had a hot house(ya know those Japanese style mesh enclosures with a front opening to have potted orchids n shit) Fly just like hummingbirds and are fucking fast. Never caught one as a kid no matter how hard we tried. We called em mini-mothras.

Nads said...

We have 'em here in Florida too, they are amazing, the first time I saw one I thought it was a hummingbird. You don't see them very often, once in a while, around sunset.

Nelson said...

Yeah! the first one I ever saw was in Hawaii as a kid. Many years went by before I found out they were moths. I didn't know what they were, just knew it flew like hummingbirds but it wasn't a bird.

The one I saw in Hawaii were smaller and had much nicer colors; reds and browns I think.

Anonymous said...

i saw a smaller one today while doing laundry & i caught it. it didn't try to suck out my brain, it actually hung out for a bit and crawled around on my hand. it was pretty cute. they are totally neato and really soft.

can i have one of your big ones — i'll take the set if you don't want to separate them...