February 7, 2010

Kam Swap Meet - Pearl City, Hawaii

It got warm pretty quick that Saturday morning. It was just before 9am and I was already breaking a sweat. It's just unusually so when you're at the Kam Swap Meet in Pearl City. I think this lady shopper was feeling it too.
Taking place at the old Kam Drive In Theater, this swap meet's been going on for over 35 years. Long as I could remember. I always thought that this was the better of the swap meets on Oahu because you find more cheap junk here. I scored two really choice aloha shirts for $5 each. The other swap meet is mostly just packed with new Hang Loose shirts for tourists.
And the oddities you find at Kam Swap Meet is always funny. You can buy algae eaters right next to fried shrimp chips.
Produce is pretty cool especially for me since I've been off the island for a while. Taro sold regularly:
And if you're into eating like I am, everything just made me hungry.
Bananas made think of Hawaiian/Puerto Rican style Pasteles but nobody had any for sale.

Yup, Hawaii swap meet food is off the hook. This place had crazy lines for their Guava Chicken and Kalbi Shortribs.
The Guava Chicken smelled gooooood, cuz.
Next door had Malasadas, brah.
But maybe I'll get a few of these Crispy Gau Gees. Just like cripsy won tons but with a lot more pork filling. I hadn't had any in a while.
Manapua seemed like the last thing I'd want among all the other choices of food.
There were some good eats and lots of junk to sift through but I walked outta there with this stuff. $20 got me 6 copies of late 50's Hot Rod and an unused 1961 Hawaii motorcycle license plate.
Pretty stoked. Good times.

3 comments:

tiptopdadddy said...

I knew there just had to be some regular priced stuff in Hawaii somewhere.

Nelson said...

No shit, huh! Outside of the tourist traps, good food is still very reasonable!

Icon Motosports said...

Browsing through the Hawaii post and surprise.... In the early nineties I used to live in the high rise in the background - Kaonohi Street. In fact on my 21st birthday I bought a six pack and drank it in that very parking lot. Strange days...