My birthday was last week and my Ol'Lady (that's biker talk) asked me where I wanted to go for dinner after work. I chose
Salo Salo Grill in Artesia, CA. I'm lucky she's into eating almost anything, too. As I've mentioned before I really like Filipino food since I've grown up around it in Hawaii.
Ok, so Salo Salo starts you out with pickled cucumbers and peanuts. They go together well. I don't even like cucumbers but I like them when they're pickled:

Filipino food is known for its greasy goodness. This soup wasn't quite that greasy but it was damn good. Some garlic flavor in there for sure... with generous pieces of pork:

The Ol'Lady had the seafood dinner. That's
Lumpia on the top left corner. Just like Chinese egg rolls but it has ground pork in it. Deep fried of course:

I ordered something I never had before. The Lechon Ribs.
Deep Fried pork ribs. Comes with rice and lumpia. They were good. Never had deep fried ribs before! At this point the Ol'Lady says "man, you're gonna have a heart attack in this restaurant!" If we ate this stuff everyday, yeah. We probably would.

And my doctor just told me 3 months ago I'm all good! No high blood pressure! Cholestorol, check! So I ordered one more item ala carte -
Sizzling Sisig!
Sisig, where have you been all my life? I had never come across this dish in my 27 years in Hawaii. What the fuck? It's my current Filipino favorite.
Diced up pork (they either use the head meat or the Chinese Roast Pork), diced onions, red and green peppers, lemon juice, black pepper, vinegar and garlic... and some other spices, but you get the idea. It comes on a sizzling platter so everybody turns around to look:

Then all of a sudden, I shit you not... we hear sirens. Loud, like right there outside in the parking lot. One ambulance and two firetrucks pull up. I took this photo through the window right next to me:

Fireman and two paramedics come in. Holy shit, did someone have a heart attack because they ate too many Lechon Ribs? Fuck, I only ate two ribs so far! I was concentrating on the Sisig over my rice!

"Oh shit, Nelson. They brought in a stretcher," my wife says. I turned around and yeah, there was a stretcher. "We need to clear a path, people, so we can get through here" said The Fireman.

Uuuuhhh... can we have some To-Go Boxes? Yeah, uh, it was time to go.

See you next time Salo Salo Grill.
4 comments:
nelson - thanks for the tag along. i can see it now, your gonna work your way up to zagats, and sell outta bike stuff for the big bucks of the culinary world
Thanks Steve! I wish it were that easy! If only I had gotten past 10th grade English in high school.
mmmmm, Im hungry.
shit, stretchers? must be damn good....?
Post a Comment